Profile image for thornsguy

I would first like to say that last year I was unable to attend the thornbury carnival due to work commitments but this year I thought I would take the children.
The high street was packed and it looked like it was going to be a good one. Ok, firstly I must say that I think the local schools let the carnival down. After all surly it wasn’t really ment to be some kind of walking bus??? Where were the fancy dress? Floats ect??? Ok may be not floats but they could have been a little more creative!!! Most of the schools and clubs I feel made a poor effort many wearing just normal school uniform!! After all where were the colours ? I remember the good old thornbury carnivals, lights, colours and most importantly FUN!
The best show was clearly the army trucks ect, then the gym one. Whats with the silly number of classic cars? A number of people near me were moaning about it.. was it a classic car show OR a carnival? Come on people sort it out!
It’s simple if you expect support and good turn outs then you HAVE to step up the act! I think it was a poor show and a poor performance along with a over priced entry to the Mundys and also what the heck…. £3 per ride?????? We just came out of a recession! With three children its an expensive day!
All in all I feel let down and I also feel that the good people of thornbury were short changed!
But well done to the small number of people that MADE an effort. And well done to the police and fire service.

By thornsguy at 15:19 on 05/07/10

Re-post           

• Profile image for pilning

I took the family to the Thornbury carnival and we had a fantastic time. I would just like to say well done to everyone that was involved.
    Can’t wait till next year.

By pilning at 17:12 on 13/07/10

• Profile image for steve_truckle

Yeah I must say that I think the Thornbury carnival was good, it would have took a lot of time and resources to make it happen but I do also see your point about a lack of effort from some of them.
    For example I also remember when Thornbury Carnival had real floats. I know it costs money but I do also agree that a little more effort could have been made by some of them.
    However that said, it’s a real community thing and that’s the main idea I guess. It pulled people in to the town and it certainly attracted a lot of people.
    Well done again to everyone that was involved in the carnival.

By steve_truckle at 17:17 on 13/07/10

• Profile image for Bland_Media

Perhaps you can arrange an interview with David Goldring, the Chairman of Thornbury Carnival Association, and put it to him that the local schools let the carnival down, making a poor effort (with many wearing just normal school uniform); that there was a silly number of classic cars; that it was a poor show and a poor performance; that the entry was overpriced and the rides expensive; and that a number of people near you were moaning about it, and were short changed. I would be interested to know his response. In any case, I think it would be appropriate that the Thornbury Carnival Association be aware of the comments being made about the event on this Northcliffe Media website. I don't recall the school uniforms by the way, other than the red T-shirts of the under-fives from the Rainbow Teddies Pre-School.

By Bland_Media at 23:21 on 19/07/10

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Local Jobs

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent