Profile image for A&A Classic Mk2 Jaguar Hire

Parking eye hound dogs are after you at Aldi car park if you dare to park for longer than 90 mins you will get an official looking letter demanding you pay an excess charge of £40 within 14 days or it will rise to £70 . if you fall foul of this check out the web for parking eye whatever you do DONT PAY!!!!!!! i wonder how much Aldi get for everyone caught?????

By A&A Classic Mk2 Jaguar Hire at 09:20 on 28/11/10

Re-post           

• Profile image for Trucks79

WOW! This is the first I know about this but rest assured I will look into this and will contact Aldi.

Has anyone here received a letter?

By Trucks79 at 12:37 on 28/11/10

• Profile image for salworld

but after all how big is Aldi? does it really take you as long as an hour to look around Aldi? ok granted it takes about 20 mins to pay as they only ever have one till open but come on... 1 hr is more than enough time.

Why should they pay rent for you to park your car in their car park when half the people that use it do not even shop at Aldi.

Fair play to them!!!

By salworld at 16:02 on 28/11/10

• Profile image for womad79

do not be bullied by those parking scams. if you have trouble from them, register and get advice from this forum http://tinyurl.com/35ptzpq essentially the law is on your side and against them. they will send you a few scary letters but it wont go anywhere.

note they will also give you a "ticket" if you dare to park in their car park when they are not open!

By womad79 at 22:57 on 28/11/10

• Profile image for A&A Classic Mk2 Jaguar Hire

are you not allowed after spending your hard earned cash at ALDI to look around the shops gathered around them or is it highway robbery ie GIVE ME YOUR MONEY THEN SCRAM how will this help the other traders.

By A&A Classic Mk2 Jaguar Hire at 18:37 on 29/11/10

• Profile image for grumps2011

i will never ever shop here again1!!!

By grumps2011 at 17:59 on 07/12/10

Just a quick update on this I have contacted Aldi twice now but to date I have not received any replies. Has anyone else received a ticket?

By Trucks79 at 10:14 on 08/12/10

A company the size that they are you really would think that they value their customer service. it is a let down when they do not even respond to comments made concerning one of the branches.

By Trucks79 at 10:46 on 09/12/10

• Profile image for bigmandave

just another example of large companies making as much money as possible. next there will install payment ticket units.

By bigmandave at 18:02 on 10/12/10

The second payment demand has arrived filed safely away !!!!!!!

By A&A Classic Mk2 Jaguar Hire at 10:13 on 18/12/10

@leaperslair have you had any further letters?

By Trucks79 at 15:28 on 07/01/11

Hi Trucks
    No other demands yet i have the shopping receipt for the day in question should they choose to take it through the claims court. other than that i am ignoring them.

By A&A Classic Mk2 Jaguar Hire at 17:28 on 09/01/11

@leaperslair that’s good news so far then. However I don’t think they will give up that easily. I do not know of anyone else to receive this type of letter in Thornbury and although I have contacted Aldi in Thornbury I was told that I would need to contact their head office to discuss the issues. I have made several attempts to contact someone at their head office but so far I have been unsuccessful on every occasion, But I will keep trying though.

By Trucks79 at 17:44 on 09/01/11

Hi Trucks
    Update: still all quiet on the western front .

By A&A Classic Mk2 Jaguar Hire at 10:55 on 13/02/11

@leaperslair well lets hope they have given up........... :-)

By Trucks79 at 15:41 on 13/02/11

• Profile image for bigmandave

well now that wheel clampers are banned lets hope this kind of thing is a thing of the past now!

By bigmandave at 20:14 on 14/02/11

• Profile image for womad79

expect to get some really scary letters. however if you go to that pepipoo dot com forum i linked earlier you will get lots of advice and reassurance. the law is completely different for private "ticket" like aldis compared to "real" ones from local authorities. private companies are not permitted to issue penalties - they have to comply with contract law, which includes not being threatening or misleading - hence why the law is on your side if you receive the kind of letter that i expect you are! the previously mentioned forum gives examples of letter chains from these latter-day highwaymen. 99.999% come to nothing, so don't worry about taking a stance against these cowboys! power to the people!

By womad79 at 22:39 on 21/02/11

@womad79 thanks for the post its great to have information forum websites, just think a number of years ago most people would have paid up without any fight! I know people that have just paid up because of fear of having to go to court, having their car towed away or even bullying. But the most common answer I am given is that they were in the wrong in the first place so they deserve to pay a fine. But if it is NOT enforceable then why should they pay up.

By Trucks79 at 09:25 on 22/02/11

Hi all just to update you : all quiet on the home front regarding parking eye. I think we can safely assume they have given up !!!!
    Regards

By A&A Classic Mk2 Jaguar Hire at 16:10 on 02/04/11

Great lets hope nothing happens. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

By Trucks79 at 19:31 on 06/04/11

• Profile image for herrmann8

I think Parking Eye is still very much active, judging by our experience. We parked to shop at Aldi on Sunday Sept 11. I went in, leaving my wife in the car to tend to our seven-week old who needed feeding. I came back out 20 mins later, having spent £10 or so. We then went back in and did a comprehensive shop (£60-plus). We didn't rush, but who does with a baby and a toddler in tow? Once out, our toddler needed something to eat, so we sorted that in the parking space. Total time in car park: 1hr 40mins. Total time permitted: 1hr 30. Result: £70 demand from these opportunist, devious b*****ds. Aldi message: spend £70 with us, get a free £70 fine. Thankfully we have our receipts, but I have NO intention of "appealing" against the letter from Parking Eye, which is incidentally designed to frighten any impressionable recipient, thanks to the subliminal Battenburg police-style border design and the use of the PCN abbreviation. PCN means penalty charge notice in common parlance - which is enforceable in law. Here, it means extortion, a huge blunt instrument to tackle a parking problem that possibly doesn't exist (the car park was nearly empty when we visited). Will we visit Thornbury Aldi again? You know the answer to that...

By herrmann8 at 09:36 on 18/09/11

@herrmann so are you going to pay the fine?

By Trucks79 at 11:10 on 21/09/11

@Leaperslair any more contact from them?

By Trucks79 at 11:11 on 21/09/11

• Profile image for Bucky20

Just received a letter from Parking Eye due to an alleged overstay of 14 minutes in Aldi carpark! Fortunately I was not the driver and wasn't even in the car - no I won't be saying who was - so the letter isn't worth the paper and postage. Annoyingly, the entire time was spent genuinely by the driver in the Aldi store shopping following a change in habits to try to support Thornbury shops a bit more. The delay was down to illness of the shopper and the usual long queues at the checkouts.....Congratulations Aldi, another Thornbury shopper lost to Yate.

P.S These letters are NOT fines, private companies cannot fine you, they are invoices for an alleged breach of an implied contract. I will simply be ignoring, waiting for the equally worthless follow-up letters/threats and ignoring them too and...most importantly...we will never be shopping in Aldi ever again.

By Bucky20 at 16:39 on 15/10/11

Needless to say that I have contacted Aldi and told them about all the comments but they have failed to respond to all three contacts.

By Trucks79 at 16:46 on 15/10/11

• Profile image for StanMor

Presumably they have used your car registration to get your address from DVLC?
    A while back there was a national furore about this practise, but as usual the papers moved on and nothing happened.
    Why not write to your MP and ask him why a national agency is still breaking the Data protection laws? Copied to Aldi of course.

By StanMor at 00:38 on 23/10/11

• Profile image for wydene

I visited Aldi store in Bangor (North Wales) and failed to see the car parking notices, and received a Parking charge notice from Parking Eye, for £40, stating that I had failed to enter my vehicle registration in the terminal inside the store to qualify for free parking!!!. I was at this store for 30 mins, They claim that their are signs around the car park clearly stating this at the entrance and though out the car park! I must have been blind to have missed them, This appears to be a new way of making sure that customers use the store! I did use the store spending about £10, but this has turned out to be the most expensive shopping trip to an AldI store!!!

I suppose it would be better to cut my loses and pay the £40, rather than waiting for it to reach £70 then plus Liability for further charges! But, if it is not a legal fine and they cannot legally enforce it, then perhaps one should not pay!!!

I normally shop at the Mill street AlDI in Llangefni, Anglesey, when visiting this part on North Wales, but being as it was rather late, I made the fatal mistake of turning of the A55 for Bangor!

I shall phone Aldi on Monday stating my gross dissatisfaction, and will from now on avoid using Aldi stores, As I did use them on a regular basis. The Lidl store i my local town of Denbigh, has a 2 hour limit but I have always been OK with that. So LIDLs look for more custom from now on.

By wydene at 12:15 on 15/09/12

Hi Trucks.
    Sorry for the delay in answer to your question no the hound dogs have not sent any more "orrible" letters.

Best advise to all who are in reciept of letters is IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE DO NOT AKNOWLEDGE RECIEPT OR PHONE THEM.
    Have fun and be safe.

By A&A Classic Mk2 Jaguar Hire at 18:29 on 17/09/12

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent