Man dies as rain and wind swept through the region last night

Profile image for matt_2009

By matt_2009 | Friday, November 23, 2012, 09:53

A man died last night when his car got stuck in floodwater in Chew Stoke.

Fire crews and several members of the Bedminster-based swift water rescue team were called to the scene at 9pm. They rescued the man but he was but pronounced dead on the way to hospital.

A full investigation is underway.

The fire service received its first weather-related calls at around 3.30pm yesterday (November 23).

It was the wind, rather than rain, which caused the early problems, with several reports of trees falling onto roads in the Avon area, and of damage to property.

The first flood-related call came shortly after 6pm, and between then and just after 1am this morning, there were nearly 60 flood-related incidents that they were alerted too.

Many of these incidents related to properties being affected by flood water.

The Bath and North East Somerset area seemed to be particularly affected, with multiple flooding calls to parts of Keynsham and surrounding areas.

In Tintagel Close, Keynsham, rainwater running off of playing fields was starting to flood several homes.

Fire crews used pumps and other equipment to redirect the water into nearby drains, and were detained the scene for nearly an hour.

There were also several calls relating to people in vehicles in flood water.

Four people were rescued from a van trapped in up to four feet of water in Blackrock Lane, Publow, Pensford, at around 7.10pm. Members of the swift water rescue team used a water raft to help rescue him.

A woman who was trapped in her car was assisted out of flood water by firefighters in Old Gloucester Road, Hambrook shortly before 7.30pm.

At 7.45pm, crews responded to reports of two people trapped in a car in flood water at Hollowbrook Lane, Knowle Hill, Chew Magna. Firefighters pushed that vehicle to safety.

Two people were rescued from a Volkswagen vehicle in flood water on Wick Road, between Bishop Sutton and West Harptree, shortly after 8pm.

There was also an incident in Mount Road, Lansdown where a retaining wall had collapsed in the very early hours of this morning. Several homes were evacuated as a precaution.

There remains standing water on the roads throughout the region and fire service is advising people to consider whether or not any planned journeys today are essential, and if so, to monitor local radio for the latest and most up-to-date travel and weather information, and to exercise extreme caution on the roads.



  • Profile image for matt_2009

    In the early hours of yesterday (Sunday 25 November), firefighters spent five hours clearing flood water from Tesco supermarket in Thornbury.

    By matt_2009 at 10:16 on 26/11/12

max 4000 characters

Local Jobs


Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price
Min price is bigger than Max price
Min rent is bigger than Max rent