Holders see off Wick to reach the last eight

Profile image for The Bristol Post

By The Bristol Post | Thursday, December 06, 2012, 05:00

HOLDERS Highridge United moved into the quarter-finals of the GFA Senior Amateur Cup with a 3-0 win away to Wick, for whom Mike Strawford and Nigel White have taken over as joint managers from Shaun Honour.

Lewis Dunn shot the visitors in front at the break. Mike Trought doubled the score midway through the second half and Kevin Taylor ended Wick's hopes with the third in the 85th minute.

Sneyd Park flew the flag for the Downs League thanks to a 5-0 romp at Avonmouth, with goals from Matt Arnold (2), Gareth Browning (2) and Richard Sargent.

Ashley White was the hat-trick hero for Winterbourne Reserves, whose other scorer in a 4-1 success away to Frampton Athletic was Shaun Cooper. Barney Yates netted a consolation for the hosts.

Corey Wilson, Nick Walters and Scott Cameron were on the mark for Ridings High, 3-1 home winners against St Aldhelms, while Sporting Greyhound lost 2-1 on the Downs to a double from ace marksman Jimmy Potts for Little Stoke.

Lee Iles replied for Brislington Cricketers in a 4-1 defeat away to AEK Boco, for whom Darren Werrett (2), Mark Pocock and Dan Degay scored.

Lebeq were given a bye into the quarter-finals on January 12 following the withdrawal of Cadbury Heath Reserves because of team-raising problems.

"Apparently, they lost their manager and many of the players have joined other clubs, so it was felt that a side of Senior Amateur Cup level could not be fielded," said GFA secretary Gerry Whitcombe.

A late goal from Tom Aherne sealed a 2-1 home victory for Sea Mills Park against Pucklechurch in the third round of the GFA Junior Cup.

Chris Misir missed a penalty in the first half for the hosts. He atoned by scoring after the break, only for Dave Mackie to equalise for Pucklechurch, who were sunk by Aherne's last-gasp decider.

Ryan Davis fired Stockwood Wanderers in front with a 30-yard volley in a 2-0 success away to AFC Mangotsfield, with Jack Luton the other scorer, also in the second half.

Cotswool slumped to a 5-1 defeat at home to Warmley Saints, whose marksmen were John McAlinden (2), Ben Bushell (2) and Paul Cutter.

Renowned cup fighters Clifton St Vincents beat Filton Athletic 3-1, thanks to goals from former Gloucestershire wicketkeeper Steve Snell, Chris Bilko and Keiren Wickham. Mike Slade netted for Filton.

After being held to a 0-0 draw at home to AFC Bohemia, Talbot Knowle United won 4-2 on penalties, with Jamie Davis netting the decisive spot-kick.

Portville Warriors crashed 4-0 away to Cleeve Colts, for whom Karl Burston hit a hat-trick and Ross Moorhead completed the tally.

Downend Foresters won 4-1 away to Stoke Gifford Reserves, with George Robbins (2), Paul Kennedy and Chris King the scorers. DAC Beachcroft enjoyed a 5-1 romp at home to Golden Hill, thanks to goals from Luke Edwards, Dan Mann, Chris Partridge, Simon Palmer and an own goal.

A hat-trick from Liam Robson and Aaron Betteridge's double gave Winterbourne A a 5-3 home win against DRG Frenchay Reserves in the quarter-finals of the GFA Intermediate Cup, while Horfield United beat Ashley Reserves 3-1, thanks to goals from Simon Kay (2) and Alex Ardwick.

A double from Makinde Kondwani could not save Lebeq Reserves from a 5-2 defeat away to Evergreen, whose marksmen were Vektas Kengnei (3), Tom Noble and Matt Puchowski.

Liam Bowyer's treble paved the way for a 6-3 home success for Frampton Reserves against Staple Hill Reserves, with Dan Cook, Jibbs Shotwina and Yinka Brownlow completing the tally.

Patchway North End lost 6-2 away to Greyfriars Reserves, for whom Will Davies (2), Dave Coggins, Dave Brown, Andy Forshaw and Pete Mather found the net.

Sam Taylor (2), Rowan Cartlidge, Tom Miller and Dan Laver shot Real Thornbury to a 5-2 away win against Lloydy Coalpit Heath, for whom Sam Owen and James Turner replied, while Totterdown Reserves beat Cribbs Friends Life A 3-1, thanks to strikes from Mike Withey (2) and Jacob Hodgson.

In the GFA Minor Cup, Steve Morris and Geoff Barnes both struck twice for Crosscourt Reserves, 7-1 victors away to Wessex Wanderers Reserves for whom Liam Blackmore hit a consolation in reply to further goals from Lee Herbert, Andy Harris and Jordan Anstey.

Craig Chapman's hat-trick set up a 4-3 success for South Bristol Central away to Pucklechurch Reserves, whose response came from Jordan Hume and Adam Hathway.

Bishopsworth twice came from behind to beat Hillfields OB 3-2, with Austin Waddington (2) and Stewart Wilson on target, while Luke Basseng (2) and Paul Blyth were Westerleigh's scorers in a 3-3 draw with Old Cliftonians, who won 4-3 on penalties to reach the quarter-finals.

Abdi-Rahman, Mohamid Hussan and Salub Mahmove netted for Amana SYF in a 3-3 draw with Warmley United, whose marksmen were Shane Garland (2) and Matt Douglas, also the scorer of the decider in a 7-6 penalty shootout success in the third round of the GFA Primary Cup.

Goals from Jack O'Donnell (2), Steve Shepherd (2) and Paul Bryant gave Sowton a 6-1 home victory against Oldbury Reserves, while Dodington failed to reply to strikes by Callum Gardener (3), Mark Bence and Shaun Bailey for Stapleton.

Yate Reserves went down 4-1 at home to doubles from Mark Jones and his son Jordan for De Veys Reserves, while The Park Reserves won 2-0 at home to Ridings High A, with Mark Alder bagging a brace.



max 4000 characters

Latest Stories in Thornbury


Local Vouchers


Local Jobs


Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price
Min price is bigger than Max price
Min rent is bigger than Max rent